Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Gu Ma Jia (姑妈家)

[Review]

When I hear of the name Gu Ma Jia, the first thing that came to mind was the wholesome and delicious home-cooked food by my own aunty. I love going to her place for family dinners or reunions and she never fails to cook up a storm in the kitchen and I wonder what I will find in this Gu Ma Jia restaurant and if it will live up to my expectation or not.

Well, here are some of the dishes that we tried -

Gu Ma Signature Traditional Beancurd Soup ($28)
The Gu Ma Signature Traditional Beancurd Soup was simply perfect for the kiddos and tasted savory with the ingredients like salted fish head, peanuts, chinese ham and pork ribs being boiled for 6 hours. Yummy!

Homemade Yam Ring with Kyoto Pork Ribs ($30)
I don't think it originated from Kyoto and it tastes like a variation of Sweet and Sour Pork to me, but more on the sour side. The yam ring itself is really nice, crispy on the outside yet sweet and creamy on the inside.

Satay Cuttle Fish ($18)
I personal love the peanut satay sauce and although there doesn't seem to be a lot of the sauce on the kang kong and cuttlefish, I must say that it is still really flavorful! I am usually scared of cuttlefishes being too chewy, or too fishy but no problem with that here!

XO Prawn Noodles ($36)
This portion, is NOT enough.  I had a few rounds. 
The name XO should give you an idea on how premium this claypot prawn noodles should taste like and it lived up to its name.  The noodles were cooked just right, not too soggy, the prawns couldn't possibly get any fresher and the soup was absolutely flavorful!  2 thumbs up for this!

Ubin Lala Bee Hoon ($18)
The dish itself may look kind of bland instead but don't be deceived by the looks for the vermicelli had fully absorbed the flavors of the lala and egg. You won't be disappointed if you are a fan of the "wok hey" in Sze Char. Nice smoky flavor!

Prawn Paste Chicken Wings
Leroy had at least 4 pieces by himself, and requested for another plate!
The prawn paste chicken wings is a perpetual favorite for many, adults and kids alike for it is chicken, and it is fried. The mid wings and drumlets are just nice as the meat is really tender.  The skills of the chef would be in getting the wings really crispy on the outside, and yet tender and cooked just right on the inside and he nailed it for this dish. Amount of prawn paste used was just about right and not overpowering.
 
Herbal Chicken
The dish reminded me of the Ginseng Chicken I had in Korea, except that this taste much nicer, because I don't like ginseng. The tender chicken meat slides off the bones easily and the herbal soup was delish. A winner that even the kiddos savoured!

Lotus Leaf Rice
Fried rice with generous amount of chinese sausages and mushrooms infused with the fragrance of the lotus leaves. Neither too oily or "jelat", and just nice! 

Auntie's Dessert ($3.50)
How can there not be dessert after a good meal and I chose Auntie's dessert which is a nice concoction of white fungus, lotus seeds, ginko seeds and wolfberries! Now I can rub my tummy with glee!

Happy kids after the wonderful meal! Great companions from Sengkang Babies!
Lunar New Year is just round the corner and you may wish to check out Gu Ma Jia's special reunion menus (starting from $488) here! Do note that they are FULLY booked for LNY evening's reunion dinner already though. Thank you Gu Ma Jia for hosting our family for the yummy dinner!

No comments :

Post a Comment