Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The New Fab Four at Hakata Ikkousha, Chijmes

[Review]

If there's one specific type of food that I really love, that would have to be Japanese food! From the various type of sashimi, fried tempura and of course to the different types of noodles such as soba, udon and of course ramen!  We only recently got to try out the ramen at Hakata Ikkousha located at Chijmes, a place I usually only walk pass till now, as I always had the feeling that the food within Chijmes is too overpriced.  The restaurant is actually not that big, and would probably only fit around 20- 25 diners comfortably. 

The first time that I visited Chjimes where Hakata Ikkousha is located at.
It looked and felt like another ramen chain that I liked to go, that offers free flow of hard boiled eggs as well.  Thus I was really eager to try the new Fab Four ramen that was launched only recently to see if they are really nice or not!  We first tasted the Soy Sauce ramen that came with pork belly slices, fish cake and ajitama (flavored-egg).  Soup base was flavourful and not too salty while the pork was tender too! The kiddos loved this ramen. I never got to try the egg as it was gone immediately after I took the photos.

Super appetizing Soy Sauce ramen ($12) which the kids loved very much!
Stacci's expression says it all!
Next up, we tried the Bonito ramen which is a special combination of chicken, pork and bonito broth! Ok, I love bonito and so I am biased.  I would always order the bonito ramen when I patronize the other ramen shop so this had to be my favourite ramen here!  I would say that although the broth is not as thick as the other place, this tasted just about right and I slurped down the broth with gusto. But my wife felt that it was too salty for her liking.

My favorite Bonito ramen ($13.50) that comes with the best tasting bamboo shoots, which I ate, which I would normally pass to others!
Wifey, who felt that the broth was a little too salty for her liking.
The next ramen we tried was the Chanpon which had stir fried crunchy vegetables such as cabbage, carrots and sweet peas as well as shiitake mushroom.  It really tasted like some stir fried Chinese vegetable dish, and even came complete with the "wok hei"! Did a quick google and found out that indeed Chanpon is the regional cuisine of Nagasaki, Japan. and drew its inspiration from Chinese cuisine.


Chanpon ($14), which tasted very much like chinese stir fried vegetables, only with noodles and in soup!
Finally the last dish we tried was the Hanadori which is really unique as the ramen and the very thick and rich chicken broth was being served separately.  It was something like eating soba and having to dip the noodles into the soy sauce.  The broth tasted heavy and "gelat" (overly sweet and salty) on it's own, but if used as a dip, brought just enough flavor to the otherwise plain ramen.  Worth a try, and the soup tasted of bonito too!  Was recommended to try out their very special chilli pepper on Chanpon and Hanadori, and I did.  It indeed gave the noodles the welcomed spiciness and improved the flavour of the dish too, provided you like chilli though!

Plain ramen with the super-rich chicken broth = Hanadori ($15)
Our experience at the restaurant was great, with the kids enjoying their Soy Sauce ramen, and having fun de-shelling and eating their hard-boiled eggs too.  I also loved their Bonito ramen and will definitely pop by the next time we are around the area, especially if I have the craving for ramen!  It is not as expensive as I thought it would be, even though it's located in Chijmes!  The Fab Four lives up to its name, just like my Fantastic Four (kiddos) back at home.

What? Free eggs?
Don't waste time liao! Leroy de-shelled and ate 2 eggs on his own!
My little glutton, Stacci!!!
Check out the various promotions available!
 Useful Information

Address: 30 Victoria Street, #01-07, CHIJMES
Opening hours: Mondays-Saturdays 11.30am-10pm; last order at 9.45pm and Sundays: 11.30am-9pm; last order at 8.45pm

No comments :

Post a Comment