Sunday, July 12, 2015

Singin' In The Rain

[Media Invite and Review of a not-so-critical Blogger]

Lucky Steffi at the premiere of Singin' In The Rain, with yours truly!
If I can recall correctly, I think I had never watched musicals before I had the kids. Not that I hated them, but because they seemed a little too "atas" for me I guess. I am also a cheapo la, and feels that it is more value for money to buy a CD rather than pay many times more just for a one-off performance. In any case, I would feel like a complete idiot if I held a conversation with a musical aficionado. I suppose I am more of a kampung person who is really easy to please, and would probably have given most musicals a miss if not for my kids. When I brought Steffi and Leroy to the musical, Beauty and the Beast the last time, I noticed that they enjoyed the atmosphere, the songs, the cast, the choreography and loved everything about the musical. I knew, because they were smiling and singing along throughout the show. 


She simply can't wait and kept asking when the show to would start! 
This time round, it was a rare date with just Steffi to the opening premiere of Singin' In The Rain and she was really excited to be back to the theatre. Truth be told, the only thing I knew about this broadway musical, was that few lines to the song "Singin' In The Rain"! But we were glued to our seats the moment it started, mesmerized by the set and the opening dance number. The only thing I found weird was the lighting and movement behind the Monumental Pictures sign and wondered why they didn't cover that part up properly, which they could have done easily. I felt that the music and the singing were fantastic though! I was amazed by the awesome singing throughout (except for Lina Lamont who got my hairs standing) and the beautifully choreographed dances as well. It must be a lot of hard work on the part of the cast in preparation for what I feel is already a perfect performance. But maybe critics would have lots more views to share.

Don, Kathy and Cosmo in one of their many cool dances together. (Photo credits: BASE Entertainment Asia)
The musical was the story about a pair of on-screen lovers, Don Lockwood and Lina Lamont who were big stars in silent movies of the olden days, and the development of the off-screen love story between Don and another rising star, Kathy Selden. It was full of funny scenes and we found ourselves breaking into laughters so very often. Even Steffi was also very entertained by the comedic performance of Cosmo Brown, Don Lockwood's sidekick, and surprisingly she loved the very nauseating voice of Lina too! But it kind of scared me too when Steffi whispered into my ears that Don loved Kathy after just watching them meet in their very first scene together! Makes me wonder what I knew about love as a 7-year old. Kids, they really grow up first.

Colorful set, wonderful dance and very wet floor. (Photo credits: BASE Entertainment Asia)
Don's kicking got many many audiences wet, and the crowd loved it! (Photo credits: BASE Entertainment Asia)
Although I knew it would be a mad rush to catch the bus with Steffi to Johor Bahru right after the musical, I was so glad I decided to go ahead with the plan to catch it no matter what. The electrifying and happy feeling we felt after watching the musical must be one of the good reasons why many would spend good money to catch musicals live. It was only towards the end at the credits when I realized that there was actually a live band playing just above the sign, hence the movement and dim lights! See? The very "mountain tortoise" me again. The rain scene was amazing too. How often does one get to experience rain indoors? Unless it is some pipe bursting ala JEM incident. It got the audiences roaring in laughter too when Don started kicking water onto the audience in the first 4 rows, the expensive premium ticket holders. But luckily they were forewarned and had their Singin' In The Rain ponchos ready. Well, if you ask me, I say this show sure can watch!

Useful Information

Date: From 9 July to 02 Aug 2015
Venue: MasterCard Theatres, Marina Bay Sands

Performance Times:
Tuesday – Friday: 8:00pm
Saturday: 2:00pm and 8:00pm
Sunday: 1:00pm and 6;30pm

Ticket Price: From $65 (Excludes the booking fee of SGD$3 per ticket)

Internet Bookings: www.BASEentertainmentasia.com, www.MarinaBaySands.com or www.sistic.com.sg

No comments :

Post a Comment